Do you eat all the yogurt all the time? We do! This is a cost effective way to make your own. While the process is lengthy, the final product is fresh and delicious!
- 1 gallon of the freshest milk you can find (you choose the fat content!)
- 1/4 cup organic Greek yogurt (grassfed options are fantastic!)
- Pour the milk into a pot over medium/high heat and bring to 180 degrees F (82 C). Be sure to stir periodically so the milk doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let the milk cool to 110-112 degrees F (43-44 C).
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup yogurt with about 1 cup of the cooled milk. Once combined, pour into the big pot and stir to combine.
- Put a lid on the pot. Wrap the pot in a towel and place in the oven with the oven light on for 6-10 hours. The oven light is just enough warmth to help the yogurt culture grow.
- Once your milk turns into yogurt, you can then strain your yogurt to turn it into Greek yogurt, or you can keep it as is. To strain, place a clean thin t-shirt over a strainer and place the strainer over a big bowl. Pour the yogurt into the t-shirt covered strainer and strain until it reaches your desired thickness.
- Spoon into containers to refrigerate and enjoy!
Nutrition facts per 1 cup of strained yogurt made with 0% fat milk:
- Calories: 130 kcal
- Protein: 24 grams
- Carbohydrate: 9 grams
- Fat: 0 grams