If you plan to watch this one (and we highly recommend that you do), grab a pen and paper. You’ll need it! Reading the highlights below won’t do this talk justice. Press play.
- When you don’t act on what you want, you take yourself out of the game.
- Expectations can keep us stuck in the past and prevent us from gaining what we want
- We overuse the past to predict the future – the same part of brain is activated when we think about the past and the future
- If you are aware of your expectations, you can plan for how to create a different outcome
- Anticipate rewards – you feel positive emotions when you think you are going to get what you want
- What do you do when what you want doesn’t match what you expect ? you have 2 options, give up or change your expectations.
- How should you approach your thought processes in these scenarios? Ask yourself:
- How is what I’m expecting making me feel?
- Expecting what you don’t want? You will feel anxiety and fear
- Ask yourself, “what would I like to have happen instead?” Sometimes what you want is not what you expect.
- What do I need to do to make what I want happen?
- When you see a plan, you see a possibility and that starts to change your expectations. What’s the message here? Make a plan!
- When you are motivated by what you want, change is possible.
- “Whether you think you can or think you cant, you are right.”
- Expectations of your future limit you the most.
- Create the life you truly want to live.
All of that will make infinitely more sense when you listen to Jennice deliver this message in her TEDx talk.